Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Sero



The sun had just come up behind him, massaging the chill from his cold shoulders. The trees all around him were budding, fecund and boasting beautiful colors. He sat alone on the park bench, like a statue greeting the dawning morning. Early birds came to life amid the branches overhead, singing from mottled limbs. He breathed in deeply, relishing in the redolent spring air. He placed his palms on his thighs and exhaled slowly, a mirthful smile blooming upon his face. He sat like this for a long while, just waiting. 

Up before work, on her morning jog, a woman ran along the path that would intersect the man seated upon the bench. She slowed as she neared and said "Mr. Sero," looking at him with sadness and candor, "you're still here." He smiled at her and said "Why wouldn't I be, Mrs. Festinavit? It's such a glorious day and it would be a pity not to enjoy it." She tried to cover her mouth with a false smile, but instead her hand rose to hide her quivering lower-lip as her eyes started to overfill. She shook her head softly and ran on.

Later, a man walking through the park sat on the bench beside him reading a newspaper. He wore a name tag that read Fatigo. After several minutes of rustling through the pages, the man exclaimed "do you believe this story they're peddling, about why they're raising our taxes? It's rubbish, utter rubbish if you ask me. Soon they'll tax the legs we stand on." Mr. Sero just smiled and said "Why worry about taxes when the sun shines so," and he looked up at the blue sky and sighed contentedly. "I worry because I'm the one paying them," and glancing at Mr. Sero condescendingly, he said with contempt "not sitting on a park bench staring at the sun all day." Unperturbed, Mr. Sero replied "It is not just the sun I look at. I look at the animals, the people that pass, the colors of the trees - how they glow at sunset - the stars, the majestic face of the moon.." and interrupting him the man cried out "rubbish! I've heard enough; have your trees," and he got up and walked away. 

Sero noticed that at some point his wallet had fallen out of his pocket and lay on the ground beside him. "Ah, I'll get it in a moment; I am content right now. I am happy and not fretful." He shut his eyes briefly and sleep took him. When he woke, his wallet was no longer beside him. A young boy with a Fur hat sat playing on the grass. He called out to him and said "hey mister, someone ran up and stole your wallet while you were asleep; I seen him." "It's okay," Mr Sero said, "I hadn't much money in it anyway. I can make more later." The boy, donning a mischievous smile, proud at having deceived the old man, asked "have you got any snacks? My mom has been sick and hasn't been well enough to cook supper." Mr. Sero took the last piece of bread from his pocket and handed it to the boy as he said "here, it's my last bit of food, but I know that when I need more it will find its way to me; all hunger passes." Like a bird stealing bread, the boy covetously snatched it from his hand and flew away.

When night fell he had the shadows to keep him company. The stars sparkled above him as the breeze rushed through the trees. Out of the darkness a dog appeared and slowly moved toward him. Bearing its teeth as it inched closer, it began to snarl and growl. Rabid foam settled on the sides of its jaws like cotton. It's ears pulled back behind its head as though held by an invisible hand. Mr Sero felt it was too late to do anything now, and he sat still, thinking maybe the animal would realize he wasn't a threat. He smiled at the creature and showed his bare palms as a gesture of peace. Responding to the movement, the dog lunged at him, mauling and tearing the flesh from his leg. With a rush of white, and fading black, Sero lost consciousness from the pain.

When he woke the sun was rising, he heard the sound of hurried footfalls. Without looking up, he knew it was Mrs Festinavit on her jog. He stared down at his leg and saw a considerable portion of blood had escaped the place where the dog had attacked him, and as he touched the wound he felt only numbness. Mrs Festinavit, saddened by the sight of him said, "I have seen you here for several days now, and I fear you have never once moved. You appear to be growing thin, and pale. And, is that blood?! You are hurt! Mr. Sero we must get you a doctor." "No no, that isn't yet necessary. I'm not in any pain, it's just a nasty bite. It will heal, there is time for that. When I need to be concerned I will do what I have to," Mr Sero replied smiling and shooing her off, encouraging her to continue her run. "I am going to get a doctor this minute Mr Sero, this is no time to sit and wait! I pray that I will not be too late."

When she returned with the doctor, Mr. Sero was no longer there. His blood dripped down from the green seat into the earth below. Pollen, falling from the trees - light pink and orange - collected in the small red puddle slowly seeping. His old coat hung from the bench, fluttering gently like a sheet on a line.

No comments:

Post a Comment