Thursday, August 8, 2013

I, Mule



There is nothing quite like a 13 hour workday to strip the paint off of your soul.

My mind suffered slow attrition - a practice target for inexhaustible stores of ammunition - hanging cracked and pitted, dented beyond recognition; past rescue. My will, lay charred and smoldering, like a felled city, ashen and alone. 

The night air touched the tip of my mangled fingers and they disintegrated like burnt cigarettes. 

Like tail-lights in the distance, the embers glowed red as they sped off, whisked away on dark and surreptitious winds. 

Wearied, my vision blurs; eyes flushed with exhaustion's oil. Shadows, shapes and muted colors smear past on the darkened road. Letters on signs, furtive, cringe and resist recognition. 

Time to get off the bus. I have a tired mile to walk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment