Thursday, February 16, 2023

For the Birds

 


Sunny days here. I woke up early this morning, around 6:00. I'd heard a noise and felt some movement in the bed. As a light sleeper, it doesn't take much to wake me. So I sat there listening, trying to determine if Asia was just tossing and turning or if something else was going on. The sound persisted and so did the movement, so I turned over. Asia was sitting up in the bed, turned away from me, her feet on the floor. You okay, I asked. No, she said, something is wrong with my back. She was crying. I sat up and went near to her. What's wrong? I can't move my head. Okay, the pain, is it sharp or dull, in one spot or radiating out? I can't describe it, she said. I began touching her back trying to gently massage it, asking where it hurt. When my fingers touched between her spine and her shoulder blade and she said, there, that's where it hurts. You probably tweaked something while doing yoga earlier. Maybe, but why am I feeling this now? Yeah, I don't know, but that happens sometimes. After some light massage and Googling - to make sure it wasn't meningitis - we went back to sleep.

A couple of hours later, just after 8:00, I woke up and she still looked like she was in pain. I got up, massaged some CBD balm onto the muscles in the area and got her some water and ibuprofen. I put her on a regimen of 20mins periods of cold compress. It's nice to take care of the person you love, but the older I get the more I worry when someone is experiencing some acute health condition. Should we go to the hospital, I ask myself, is that crazy? The doctors would probably laugh at us and show contempt for taking up a bed a person with a more serious issue could have used. But then what if it were meningitis? Failure to take prompt action could be fatal. She had no fever, no nausea, no other symptoms that would suggest meningitis so perhaps just a day of ice, anti-inflammatories and rest?

We'll see. I have her under close supervision. She seems to be doing better already. I think just having someone caring for you and being sympathetic to your pain can do wonders to help you heal. Feeling supported is important. This is true not only when it comes to your health, but also at work, in your relationships, or when trying to learn a new skill. It is especially useful to be mindful of this when speaking to yourself. Often we are too cold, cruel, judgmental, impatient...unforgiving. Be careful of this and try to summon empathy for yourself when struggling or in pain. We have the capability to be our best friend or worst enemy, and it is all in how we treat ourselves.

I think we'll go for a brief walk soon, to get her blood circulating a bit and promote some light movement. Our walk yesterday was lovely. The weather was cool, not cold, sunny, almost autumnal. It seemed lots of other folks had a similar idea. We saw people walking dogs, jogging, bike riding, and even more obscure practices like practicing archery and even falconry with a young crow. The man with the crow was unintentionally attracting a small crowd of picture takers. It's not every day you see someone with a crow on their wrist. Corvids are extremely intelligent birds. I'm surprised you don't see them as pets the way you do parrots. Maybe because they don't speak like parrots do. The ability to mimic human speech is a novelty that makes them desirable. That is, until the bird starts saying words you don't want it to while guests are over for a dinner party.

Fuck you, bitch!

"Oh, that Ronald, who knows where he gets it from?"

Oh yeah, fuck me!

"Well, I've never!" you say as your face flushes beet red.

Eat my ass! Eat my ass!

"Honestly, he's never said this stuff before," you exclaim, but you can tell no one believes you.

Put that big old dick in me, daddy!

"I'm so sorry" you say as you rush toward the bird, "he's never done this. I'll put him inside, give me a minute."

Oh yeah, oh yeah! I'm cumming, choke me, choke me!

You struggle awkwardly as you try and lift the heavy bird cage, and one of your guests asks nervously if you need help.

"No, I'm fine," you say, exasperated, "I've got it."

You don't got it. You stumble after fumbling for the door handle with one hand and go crashing to the floor, bird seed scattering across the floor in all directions as the parrot screeches and escapes the tumbling cage.

Fuck you, bitch!

You lie on the floor, defeated, humiliated, your partner looking on at you in baffled horror. You wonder why you ever wanted a parrot in the first place, why you didn't get a bird that couldn't repeat your private filth to your friends. 

Why didn't you get a crow?

You like that, you fucking slut?!

No comments:

Post a Comment