Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Past My Bedtime



Last night's post was an incomplete thought. Tonight's will be too. I've been getting to bed earlier and earlier every night, so when I write I'm usually fairly exhausted already.

The gist of what I was getting at yesterday was that we shape ourselves after who we believe ourselves to be, not necessarily who we are. We cling only to the veneer of personality because, after all, what is personality if not the thin varnish of polished insecurity? Year after year we sculpt our hardening psyches as they become irreversibly rigid, brittle, doggedly inflexible and coarse, until eventually, splintering and cracking, they chip and turn to talcum. As pieces crumble and fall away we lose parts of ourselves forever to time and decay.

It's funny, I'm actually in a good mood but it doesn't show.

No comments:

Post a Comment