Sunday, January 25, 2015

Have Car Will Travel



I have been awake since before the sun; before the birds and their songs. The building outside my window is dressed up in a soft pink painted by the now rising sun. This tells me the sky is blue and the day should be clear and full with sunshine. When it is sunny this early it is always a strong indicator that the day will bear continued brightness. My neighborhood is usually overcast in the mornings, giving way to the light only when it is good and ready. I wonder what I will do today. Perhaps I will go hiking, if a car is available.

The internet tells me there is a car that can be mine for the day, for the low low price of $115 dollars. It's absurd really, that the freedom to travel quickly and efficiently is so costly. The thought comes to me, at times, of buying a car and having a steel chariot always at my beck and call. But then I am greeted by the grim visage of searching for public parking; street cleaning rules; maintenance; parking meters and tickets; insurance; gas. Prices for petrol are at record lows; maybe now is the best time to buy. What if I just bought barrels and barrels of diesel and stored them in my apartment, waiting for prices to climb so that I could resell them at a profit? Are there laws against this? What's the difference between investing in gold versus gasoline? Research must be conducted - I think I have a brilliant idea here. What's the worst that can go wrong? An errant spark igniting the barrels and blowing my home and all its inhabitants to smithereens? A cheap price to pay for such a large cash bounty!

Ok, I need to decide whether I want this car. The longer I hesitate the greater the chances it gets snatched up by an equally eager adventurer ready to plunder the day for its treasure.

I will book it then: it's better to be looking at it than to be looking for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment