Saturday, January 10, 2015

Jesuis Snot



It's been a long time since I last enjoyed the fruits of sobriety. That sentence sounds wrong. A word I can't remember might remedy it, but forgetfulness ensures it will retain its want of correctness. I went to bed early, avoiding a late night neighborhood shooting which claimed the lives of four people last night, and woke up early enough to edit some photos. I also squeezed in a brief workout. An enormous victory. The greatest benefit of not drinking is all the time you get back. Every day is daylight savings time. This is not to diminish the other benefits; more energy; clear-headedness; smarter decisions; the absence of hangovers; a flat stomach and a fat wallet. Why anyone continues to drink is a mystery to me. Even more mysterious though, is that I too, after some short interval, will return to drinking. But instead of gaining any insight as to why, I will be thrust even further into the babbling dark.

The new job is going splendidly. I have yet to formulate a complaint, though there's plenty of time for that. For now, I'm enjoying the change of scenery and the pleasure of learning new systems and skills. I started the job on Monday with a massive sinus infection. I woke up that morning feeling like some sick clown had inserted two green birthday balloons up my nose, one in each nostril, and inflated them full of putrid smelling clown breath. My nose soon grew red and fuzzy and round and I was able to pull long strands of slimy green handkerchiefs out in gooey ribbons. It was quite the party-trick during new hire orientation. By now I've nearly beat the infection. All that remains is a lingering fatigue and the occasional cough; a barking lung, rabid and unchained, eager to maul the marauding post-nasal sludge that's slithered down into my bronchioles with the subtle aplomb of a trespassing mailman.

What else? The terrible attacks in France earlier this week, and the resultant death of the terrorists involved. What wicked times we live in; free speech always in peril.

Whoops. I'm out of time. I'll need to shower and go meet a French friend for brunch at a foreign movie theater she wants to dine at. Hangover soup is what she craves. Without a hangover is it permissible for me to eat such a thing? I'll report back later.

No comments:

Post a Comment