Sunday, December 8, 2013

Truancy



I've spent the last few days reading about writing; for example, I'm now more practiced at detecting run-on sentences, dependent and independent clauses, verbals and verbals phrases, modifiers and completers. I've brushed up on prepositions and conjunctions, predicates and participles, auxiliaries; simple tenses that weren't so simple. The fragments of information on sentence construction are dizzying. I learned things about sentences that I never knew before, or wanted to. As a native speaker of English, it was both humorous and humbling to find myself struggling as I reviewed materials designed for those learning it as a second language. I felt like I was in 3rd grade again, but after 20 years of truancy.

Speaking of truancy, I haven't written a post in days. I had intended to write one this morning, but now the shining sun beckons me. It looks nice outside, almost too nice. Behind a distant cloud some sleeping calamity lies dreaming. I can feel it.

No comments:

Post a Comment