Thursday, December 19, 2013

New Gear's Resolution



All night I dreamt of camera lenses and beautifully captured images, masterfully composed, with unprecedented sharpness. The Profuser has infiltrated my mind with his incessant prattling about cameras and lenses and megapixels and sensors. He's breached my unconscious, propagating and proliferating throughout it like a pair of horny hamsters.

Soon I'll be looking covetously at $4000 lenses, like the Zeiss Otus 55mm. Fuck, it's already happened. Why couldn't I have developed a less expensive addiction, like comic books or beanie babies? Jesus, for $4000 I could buy a motorcycle or take a nice trip to Europe. How can a manufacturer charge that much money for a piece of glass; something so easily damaged or destroyed by the slightest drop. It's savage, borderline criminal.

Maybe I should just keep my fixed-lens camera and stay away from these wallet-chewing full-frame vampires. I'll make that my New Year's resolution. I don't even remember what my resolution was last year. I think it was to save money; which I actually did manage to do with some success. Buying this camera and corresponding lenses would obliterate those gains, however.

But what is money for, if not for spending, right? I think that for many, it is about having - it affords a strong kind of security. A warm blanket to protect against the chill of dark and odious fortunes. Perhaps symbolically it serves as a reservoir of saved time, stored up and ready to be withdrawn in case of emergency - or extravagance.

No comments:

Post a Comment