Monday, March 5, 2018

Quick Update



It's been brought to my attention that I haven't been writing here frequently enough - and by a girl who doesn't even know I write. It's a sad state of affairs when you're too busy to document the new adventures of your life. There's so much to write about; my slow progress on learning German and tricking them into taking me in as one of their own; the food here; the unusually beautiful winter weather; the women; finding an apartment. Today was my first day of work after a three-month semi sabbatical. It feels strange to be beholden to someone other than myself again. The truly unusual and unnatural nature of the employer/employee relationship is felt most clearly upon return. Especially in this case, when it is the employer who essentially sets the conditions of my stay in their country. It is far too much power to wield over the head of another - in addition to the implicit threat of poverty at the loss of livelihood.

My first day of work was good though. My boss is great and my immediate teammates seem cool. It'll take about 90 days for me to have a better sense of things, but my initial impressions are positive. Having only 200 employees, the company here is far smaller than any I've worked at so far. It feels like a small family. It's the Cheers of tech startups.

I'm nearly done painting my apartment, and I've ordered a nice bed. Now I only need a bed frame, internet access, a washing machine, and to have lights installed. I've selected some cool LED bulbs that look like old Edison bulbs to hang from the ceilings. Sometime within the next two weeks everything should be sorted. I got news today that my personal possessions from San Francisco have been delayed and won't arrive until early April, which is shit. There's little I can do, but it doesn't bode well for my things making it here safely and on time.

More updates to come when I have more time. Gute Nacht for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment