Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Future's Foreplay



Birds and sunshine woke me up earlier than usual. Nature's alarm clock has no snooze button. The day looks to be glorious. If only there were a way to escape work. Just knowing the sun is shining is enough to brighten the day, literally. Later I'll see a show, one of my favorite local artists. The anticipation will sustain me until tonight. Anticipation and excitement for things to come are important ingredients for happiness; future's foreplay. To cultivate contentment people should practice looking forward to things. We spend far too much time looking back.

I think I hear a frog outside. Either that or a bird performing a spot on frog impression. I wonder if I've ever told the story here of my first introduction to death and murder, and frogs. Well, it was more like a wrongful death resulting from gross negligence than it was a murder. I'd, quite literally, shattered the fragile glass jar containing all my youthful innocence. Through the sloppy poked air-holes in the jar's lid, I'd lost the ignorance allotted to me by inexperience.

Next time. This way you have something to look forward to.


No comments:

Post a Comment