Saturday, December 20, 2014

More



Yesterday was my last day at work. It still seems surreal that I'm no longer with the company. It's been seven years. I started as a box cutter, receiving shipping goods at one of their most popular retail stores, and after three years and a series of promotions I found myself doing software QA on one of their most prestigious teams. I doubt there exists another employee who's had a similar trajectory. In fact I'm sure of it. I'm jobless until January. It's a strange feeling, floaty, like that weightless feeling when a roller coaster slowly rolls over the summit. There's the exhilaration too, the excitement of starting anew. I've wiped clean a seven year sand mandala that I thought I might be working on for another three years. And perhaps I could have. But at what cost? There comes a point where you have to ask yourself what you want more of - time or money.

It's really easy to make the wrong choice. In truth, we're encouraged to. We will sacrifice our most vital asset for security and comfort. We are inclined to let our emotions run away with us, chasing more security and more comfort; the more we have, the more we have to lose. A terrible cycle perpetuated by fear. 

Hoarders, all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment